The County Plan Commission has jurisdiction within the unincorporated area of the county except that any
city or town may authorize the County Commission to act as the city or town planning commission. The
Commission has the following duties:
1. To make surveys of the resources of all sections of the county and make plans for conservation of
2. To formulate and recommend adoption of plans for community betterment.
3. To cooperate with all other departments and units of government in the preparation of a master plan for
the development of the county, including long-range public works and financial programs.
4. To approve any proposed community subdivision lying outside the corporate limits of any city of town
within the county, and the filing and recording of plats in counties where a master plan has been adopted.
5. To authorize the preparation of maps of county roads on which the roads will be designated by name or
6. To administer a zoning ordinance for the unincorporated area of the county which shall be duly adopted.
In addition, The Plan Commission issues all building permits and conducts building inspections for all
construction in the county; assigns 911 addresses; accepts petitions for Decatur County Area Plan
Commission and Decatur County Board of Zoning Appeals for rezoning and zoning variances; issues and
administers "unsafe building" ordinance; reviews all surveys; and generates blue line prints for the general