Decatur County Clerk
150 Courthouse Square, Suite 244
Greensburg, IN 47240
- (812) 663-8223
- (812) 662-6627
Adina Roberts - Clerk
Duties and Responsibilities
The Clerk administers the official court records for all court cases with jurisdiction in that county.
- Criminal cases include felonies, misdemeanors, miscellaneous criminals.
- Traffic cases are comprised of infractions, local ordinance violations and exempted ordinance violations
- Civil cases include torts, civil plenary cases, protective orders, miscellaneous civil, reciprocal support, small claims, domestic relations, mental health, adoption, supervised and unsupervised estates, guardianships, trusts, children in need of services (CHINS), juvenile delinquency, juvenile status, juvenile miscellaneous and juvenile paternity.
The Clerk prepares the Court's permanent historical records.
- The Record of Judgments and Orders serves as the historical record of the court's verbatim orders.
- The Judgment Docket is used by abstract companies to show liens against real estate, and information is also recorded by credit companies to provide assistance to those who lend money to individuals and entities.
- Indexes are vital records for locating cases and conducting criminal or civil record searches concerning individuals or entities.
The Clerk is generally responsible to:
- Process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses
- Prepare notary certifications, register bail agents, and process applications for license for distress sale, passports, hunting and fishing licenses
- Record certified breathalyzer operators, judgments including State income and unemployment tax warrants, bonds of numerous public officials, and other miscellaneous records
The Clerk processes and issues documents for court cases.
- Civil documents include summons, subpoenas, garnishment orders, proceedings supplemental, writs of execution or attachment, orders of sale, body attachments, protective orders, notice of claim, contempt citations, orders to appear, SR33.
- Criminal documents include arrest warrants; jailer's releases commitments to jail and correctional facilities; change, release and forfeiture of bond forms; bondsman ordered to produce notification; and transport orders.
- Probate documents include publications for newspapers regarding the opening and closing of estates, notification of heirs, wills, inventories, inheritance tax orders and final reports.
- Juror names are drawn, and notices are generated for prospective jurors and those assigned to panels.
- Record of Proceedings for appeal to the Appellate and Supreme Courts are prepared and/or approved.
The Clerk collects, distributes and reconciles monies related to court cases and is subject to regular audits by State Board of Accounts. Reports are filed with appropriate agencies including the Auditor, Treasurer, Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Indiana State Child Support Division, State Treasurer, etc.
- Court costs, judgment money and many other fees are collected on civil cases.
- The Clerk collects fees and fines for city, county and state, deferral and pre-trial diversion fees, and extradition and restitution fees for criminal misdemeanor and infraction cases.
- User fees for special interest groups include: Conservation Officers Fish and Wildlife Fund, Public Defender Fee, Marijuana Eradication Program Fee, Alcohol and Drug Services Program User Fee, Law Enforcement Continuing Education Fee, Drug Abuse Prosecution Interdiction and Correction Fee, Alcohol Abuse Deterrent Program and/or Medical Fee, Alcohol and Drug Countermeasures Fee, Child Abuse Prevention Fee, Domestic Violence Prevention and Treatment Fee, Highway Work Zone Fee, Special Death Benefit Fee.
- Child Support represents a significant portion of collections made, and Federal Title IV D case processing generates incentive monies to counties.
- Pay traffic citations with Doxpop: - http://payment.doxpop.com/prod/finepay/
- Passport & Travel Information: - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en.html
- Where Do You Vote? (State of Indiana Website): - http://www.indianavoters.com/PublicSite/Public/PublicPollingPlace.aspx
- Circuit and Superior Court Filings (thru Doxpop): - http://www.doxpop.com/prod/court/CourtQuery
- Child Support Payment Options: - https://secure.in.gov/dcs/3504.htm
- Electoral candidate information from the Secretary of State's Website: - http://in.gov/sos/elections/2395.htm
- 2018 Military & Overseas Voter Guide: - https://www.in.gov/sos/elections/files/2018%20Military%20and%20Overseas%20Voters%20Guide.FINAL%20W%20FORMS.pdf
Election Notice for Voters
- To vote a straight party ticket for one political party's candidates, except for candidates described in (2) below, select one of the following parties.
- To vote for any candidate for County Council At Large, you must select each candidate you wish to vote for. Your straight party vote will not count as a vote for any candidate for that office.
- If you wish to vote for a candidate seeking a nonpartisan office or on a public question, you must select the appropriate place on this ballot.